14th Asian Technology Conference in Mathematics
Konferenz: 14th Asian Technology Conference in Mathematics (ATCM 2009). Peking, China.
Termin: 17.12.2009 - 21.12.2009.
- 1 Kurzbeschreibung
- 2 Themen
- 3 Programmkomitee
- 4 Hauptvorträge
- 5 Veröffentlichungen
- 6 Konferenzbericht
On the behalf of the Beijing Normal University and members of the International Program Committee of the ATCM conference, we are delighted and honored to have this opportunity to introduce the papers of the ATCM 2009 – “A journey to discover more mathematics”.
We are fortunate to have presenters from a wide spectrum of scientists and educators, whose presentations and workshops will demonstrate the most current trends in technology for mathematics and mathematics with technology. It is particularly wonderful to have so many participants from many Asian countries, America, Australia and Europe. Presented here papers address a very wide spectrum of topics and ideas. We can find here papers concentrating on using computer software in teaching mathematics, papers on using Internet, multimedia, computer games and other tools for interactive and online mathematics courses delivery, as well as research papers from pure mathematics where technology was used to produce some new results. Large part of this book, as well as the conference presentations, is devoted directly to teaching mathematics with the use of Dynamic Geometry tools and Computer Algebra Systems. There is also a significant set of papers on using Excel in teaching mathematics and statistics courses.
It is in particular very important to notice how fast things are changing in technology for mathematics. Quite often computer programs that we used for years in teaching mathematics disappear in a matter of weeks and new tools come in a matter of years. The society is changing also very rapidly, and every day we are facing new challenges in the classroom. All these transformations and transitions make life of mathematics instructors very difficult. In this conference we will find, like in previous years, a few new developments in technology for mathematics. Some of them are completely new and hot, some other are new and important features added to well known software. In this conference we will find also a number of papers presenting a new approach to mathematics teaching through computer games or multimedia. We welcome you all to learn from the authors, get in touch with the newest technology developments and experiment with technology tools during ATCM workshops. We wish you happy hunting for new ideas, solutions, and great personal contacts.
We would like to express our appreciation to the local organizers, in particular to the Beijing Normal University for the enormous task of planning and preparation of ATCM 2009 – one of the most enjoyable and instructive conferences in Asia. We thank also the members of the International Program Committee and external reviewers for their great contribution in reviewing papers.
International Program Co-Chairs
- Tilak de Alwis , Southeastern Louisiana University, USA
- Miroslaw Majewski , New York Institute of Technology, UAE
- Wei-Chi Yang, Radford University, USA
International Program Committee
- Paul ABBOTT, University of Western Australia, Australia
- Keng Cheng ANG, NIE/ Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Yiming CAO, Beijing Normal University, China
- Kyung Yoon CHANG , Konkuk University, South Korea
- Jen-Chung CHUAN, National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan
- Ma. Louise Antonette De Las Penas, Ateneo De Manila University, Philippines
- Lenni HAAPASALO, University of Joensuu, Finland
- Shui-hung HOU, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
- Masami ISODA , University of Tsukuba, Japan
- Krongthong KHAIRIREE, Suan Sunandha Rajabhat University, Thailand
- Barry KISSANE, Murdoch University, Australia
- Ichiro KOBAYASHI, International Educational Software, Japan
- Bernhard KUTZLER, University of Linz, Austria
- Matthias KAWSKI, Arizona State University, U.S.A.
- Ming-Gong LEE, Chung Hua University, Taiwan
- Hee-chan LEW, Korea National University of Education, South Korea
- Douglas Meade, The University of South Carolina, U.S.A.
- Antonio R. Quesada, The University of Akron, U.S.A.
- Inder K Rana, Indian Institute of Technology, Powai, India
- Katsuhiko SHIMIZU, Tokyo University of Science, Japan
- Tadashi TAKAHASHI, Kobe University, Japan
- Lu YANG, Guangzhou University, China
- Yuan Yuan, Chung Yuan University, Taiwan
Local Organizing Committee
- Prof. Wang Zikun (Former President of Beijing Normal University, Member of the Chinese Academy of Sciences).
- Vice Presidents:
- Prof. Bao Jiguang (Dean of School of Mathematical Sciences of Beijing Normal University)
- Prof. Huang Ronghuai (Vice Dean Faculty of Education of Beijing Normal University, Dean of School of Educational Technology of Beijing Normal University)
- Prof. Cao Yiming (School of Mathematical Sciences of Beijing Normal University，Vice Director of Education Committee of the Chinese Mathematical Society)
Members of the Organizing Committees
- Prof. Chen Yuanheng (Peking University)
- Prof. Gao Hang（President Assistant and Director of Academic Affairs Division of Northeast Normal University, Former Dean of School of Mathematical and Statistics of Northeast Normal University)
- Prof. Guo Xihan (Hua Zhong Normal University)
- Prof. Huang Qinan (Shaanxi Normal University)
- Prof. Liang Wei (Executive Vice Dean of Capital Institute of Basic Education of Beijing Normal University)
- Prof. Li Qingzhong (Dean of School of Mathematical Sciences of Capital Normal University)
- Prof. Lu Xinsheng (Shanghai Normal University)
- Prof. Song Naiqing（Administrative Vice President of Southwest Normal University)
- Prof. Shen Wenhuai（Director of Academic Affairs Division of South China Normal University, Former Dean of School of Mathematics of South China Normal University)
- Prof. Sun Mingfu（Dean of Graduate School of Northwest Normal University) ）
- Prof. Tu Rongbao (Nanjing Normal University, Director-general of Mathematics Education Association)
- Prof. Wang Guangming (Tianjin Normal University，Subeditor of Journal of Mathematics Education)
- Prof. Wang Jiyan（East China Normal University)
- Prof. Yu Zhengguang (Tsinghua University)
- Prof. Zhang Yingbo (Member of the Executive Committee of the ICME, Director of Education Committee of the Chinese Mathematical Society)
- Bruno Buchberger, LINZ, Austria
- Keith O Geddes, University of Waterloo, Canada
- Peng Yee Lee, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Bert Waits, The Ohio State University, US
Plenary talks and invited papers
- Jingzhong Zhang, Xicheng Peng, Mao Chen: Practice and think about teaching dynamic geometry course in Normal University
- Jen-Chung Chuan: Applications of the Internet Archive to Dynamic Geometry (Chinese version)
- Bogumila Klemp-Dyczek: From friezes and wallpapers to ornaments of rods and further to circular and spiral mosaics
- Keng Cheng Ang: Analysis of a Tumour Growth Model with MATLAB
- Miroslaw Majewski, Jiyan Wang: A Journey through Chinese Windows and Doors -- an Introduction to Chinese Mathematical Art
- Tilak De Alwis: Volumes of Solids of Revolution via Summation Methods
- Wei-Chi Yang: Content Knowledge, Creativity and Technology. Chinese translations
- Sung Je Cho: School Mathematics and Popularization of Mathematics
- Matthias Kawski: Elementary PDEs with CAS technology