Educational Interfaces between Mathematics and Industry
Konferenz: Educational Interfaces between Mathematics and Industry - Study Conference (EIMI). Lisabon, Portugal.
Termin: 19. - 23. April 2010
von der Webseite: The ICMI/ICIAM-Study on “Educational Interfaces between Mathematics and Industry (EIMI-study)” starts from two assumptions, namely:
(1) There are intimate connections between innovation, science, mathematics and the societal production and distribution of goods and services, in short: there intimate connections between mathematics and industry.
(2) There is a need for a fundamental analysis and reflection on – maybe new – strategies for education and training of students in view of these connections.
The EIMI-study seeks to better understand these connections and to offer ideas and suggestions how education and training can contribute to enhance the individual and societal development.
The conference consists of six plenary invited lectures, about sixty parallel paper presentations and six Working Groups (WG). Each WG is coordinated by two IPC members, and all participants of the conference are invited to participate and to contribute to the ICMI-ICIAM International Study.
- The mathematics-industry interface
- Technology issues
- Mathematics-Industry Communication
- Education in Schools
- University & academic technical/vocational education
- Education/training with industry participation
International Programme Committee
- Alain Damlamian (co-chair), Faculté de Sciences et de Technologie, Université Paris XII, France
- Rudolf Sträßer (co-chair), Institut für Didaktik der Mathematik, Justus-Liebig-Universität Gießen, Germany
- José Francisco Rodrigues (local organizer), Faculdade de Ciências, Universidade de Lisboa and Centro Internacional de Matemática, Portugal
- Helmer Aslaksen, Department of Mathematics, National University of Singapore, Singapore
- Gail Fitzsimons, Faculty of Education, Monash University, Australia
- José M. Gambi, Escuela Politecnica Superior, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, Spain
- Solomon Garfunkel, Comap, USA
- Alejandro Jofré, Departamento de Ingeniria Matematica, Universidad de Chile, Chile
- Henk Van der Kooij, Freudenthal Institute, Universiteit Utrecht, Netherlands
- Li Ta-tsien, Department of Mathematics, Fudan University, China
- Taketomo Mitsui, Department of Mathematical Sciences, Faculty of Science and Engineering, Doshisha University, Japan
- Nilima Nigam, Department of Mathematics, Simon Fraser University, Canada
- Fadil Santosa, Institute for Mathematics and its Applications, University of Minnesota, USA
- Bernard Hodgson (ex officio, Secretary-General of ICMI), Département de Mathématiques et de Statistique, Université Laval (Canada)
- Rolf Jeltsch (ex officio, President of ICIAM), Seminar for Applied Mathematics, ETH Zürich, Switzerland
Local Organising Committee
- Adérito Araújo, Departamento de Matemática, Universidade de Coimbra
- António Fernandes, Departamento de Matemática, Instituto Superior Técnico de Lisboa
- Assis Azevedo (co-chair), Departamento de Matemática, Universidade do Minho
- José Francisco Rodrigues (chair), Faculdade de Ciências, Universidade de Lisboa
- Thomas A. Grandine - Applied Mathematics, The Boeing Company, Seattle, USA
- Arvind Gupta - Director / CEO of MITACS, University of British Columbia, Canada
- Celia Hoyles - Institute of Education, University of London, UK
- Henk van der Kooij - The Freudenthal Institute, Utrecht University, The Netherlands
- Helmut Neunzert - Fraunhofer ITWM, University of Kaiserslautern, Germany
- Masato Wakayama - Faculty of Mathematics, Kyushu University, Japan