History and Pedagogy of Mathematics - The HPM Satellite Meeting of ICME-12
Konferenz: History and Pedagogy of Mathematics - The HPM Satellite Meeting of ICME-12 (HPM 2012). Daejeon, Südkorea.
Termin: 16.07.2012 - 20.07.2012 Juli 2012
The HPM 2012 is a satellite meeting of ICME-12 and is the eighth quadrennial meeting of the HPM Group, which is the International Study Group on the Relations between the History and Pedagogy of Mathematics. Especially, the HPM 2012 is the conference celebrating the 40th anniversary of the HPM Group, and focuses the insights into Eastern Asia Mathematics History. Members of the HPM Group consists of mathematicians, researchers in Mathematics education, historians of mathematics, teachers of mathematics, and curriculum developers. The HPM 2012 is welcoming everyone who is interested in the history of mathematics and mathematics education.
The HPM 2012 is a place where mathematicians, educators, historians, researchers and students can make presentations and participate in discussions. The programme and activities are structured around the following main seven themes:
- Theoretical and/or conceptual frameworks for integrating history in mathematics education
- History and epistemology implemented in mathematics education: classroom experiments & teaching materials
- Original sources in the classroom, and their educational effects
- Mathematics and its relation to science, technology and the arts: historical issues and educational implications
- Cultures and mathematics
- Topics in the history of mathematics education
- Mathematics from Eastern Asia
The international Scientific Program Comitee (SPC)
- Abraham Arcavi, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
- Evelyne Barbin, IREM-Centre Francois Viete, Universite de Nantes, France
- George Booker, Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia
- Renaud Chorlay, IREM, University of Paris 7, France
- Ubiratan d’Ambrosio, Pontificia Universidade, Catolica de Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Carlos Correia de Sa, Departamento de Matematica Pura da Faculdade de Ciencias da Universidade do Porto, Portugal
- Abdellah El Idrissi, Ecole Normal Superieure, Morocco
- Florence Fasanelli, American Association for the Advancement of Science, USA
- Gail FitzSimons, Faculty of Education, Monash University, Australia
- Fulvia Furinghetti, Department of Mathematics, Universita di Genova, Italy
- Wann-Sheng Horng, National Taiwan Normal University, Taiwan
- Sunwook Hwang, Department of Mathematics, Soongsil University, Seoul, Korea
- Masami Isoda, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Science, University of Tsukuba, Japan
- Niels Jahnke, Fachbereich Mathematik, Universitat Duisburg-Essen, Germany
- Sten Kaijser, Department of Mathematics, University of Uppsala, Sweden
- Victor Katz, Department of Mathematics, University of the District of Columbia, USA
- Kathy Clark, Florida State University, Tallahassee, USA
- Manfred Kronfellner, Institut fur Algebra & Computermathematik, Technische Universitat Wien, Austria
- Ewa Lakoma, Institute of Mathematics, Military University of Technology, Warsaw, Poland
- Snezana Laurence, Bath Spa University, Bath, UK
- Luis Radford, Ecole des Sciences de l’ Education, Laurentian University, Canada
- Tatiana Roque, Universidade Federale do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Leo Rogers, Roehampton University, Digby Stuart College, Roehampton University, UK
- David Pengelley, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, USA
- Gert Schubring, Institut fur Didaktik der Mathematik, Universitat Bielefeld, Germany
- Man Keung Siu, Department of Mathematics, University of Hong Kong, China
- Bjørn Smestad, Faculty of Education, Oslo University College, Norway
- Robert Stein, California State University, San Bernardino, USA
- Constantinos Tzanakis, Department of Education, University of Crete, Rethymnon, Greece
- Jankvist Uffe, Department of Science, Roskilde University, Denmark
- Jan van Maanen, Freudenthal Institute, University of Utrecht, The Netherlands
- Chris Weeks, Downeycroft, Virginstow Beaworthy, UK
The Local Organizing Committee (LOC)
- Sunwook Hwang. chair, Department of Mathematics, Soongsil University, Seoul, Korea.
- Sangki Choi. vice-chair, Department of Mathematics Education, Konkuk University, Seoul, Korea.
- Jinho Kim. secretary, Department of mathematics Education, Daegu National University of Education, Daegu, Korea.
- Sung Sook, Kim. Department of Applied Mathematics, Pai Chai University, Daejeon, Korea.
- Cheong-Soo Cho. Department of Mathematics Education, Yeungnam University, Kyungsan, Korea.
- Kyeonghye Han. Department of Mathematics, Soonchunhyang University, Asan, Korea.
- Wooseok Jang. Department of Mathematics, Sook Myung Girls' High School, Seoul, Korea.
- Sang Sook, Choi-Koh. Department of Mathematics Education, Dankook Univesity, Yongin, Korea.
- Youngmee Koh. Department of Mathematics, The University of Suwon, Suwon, Korea.
- Tinne Hoff Kjeldsen (Denmark): “Uses of history for the learning of and about mathematics: towards a theoretical framework for integrating history of mathematics in mathematics education.”
- Tsang-Yi Lin (Taiwan): “Using History of Mathematics in High School Classroom: Some Experiments in Taiwan. ”
- Janet Barnett (USA): “Bottled at the Source: The Design and Implementation of Classroom Projects for Learning Mathematics via Primary Historical Sources.”
- Dominique Tournes (France): “Mathematics of the 19th century engineers: methods and instruments .”
- Ubiratan d’Ambrosio (Brazil): “Mind and Hand: the complexity and diversity of mathematics in different cultural environments.”
- Johan Prytz (Sweden): “Social structures in mathematics education. Researching the history of mathematics education with theories and methods from sociology of education.”
- Sung Sa Hong (Korea): “Theory of Equations in the history of Chosun Mathematics.”
Publishing the Proceedings of HPM 2012 is also a major task, and will be available in the meeting. Each submitted full text for an oral presentation or a workshop will be reviewed by members of the SPC at the usual international standards. More details on the size of the texts, the format guidelines will be announced in due course from the HPM 2012 and HPM websites, respectively;