History of European Universities. Challenges and transformations
Konferenz: History of European Universities. Challenges and transformations . Lisabon, Portugal.
Termin: 18.04.2011 - 20.04.2011.
Universities in Portugal have a long history, starting with the foundation of the University of Lisbon in 1288-90, which was relocated in Coimbra in 1537. The present organization of the University of Lisbon dates back to 1911, and is a direct outcome of the institution of a Republican government in 1910. Celebrating in 2011 its first centenary, the commemorations of the reestablishment of the University of Lisbon encompass various reflections on its history. Among several events, the Executive Commission for the University’s celebrations, together with the International Commission for the History of Universities, is organizing an international conference titled “History of European Universities. Challenges and transformations,” to be held from 18-20 April 2011, at the University of Lisbon Campus.
- Ana Simões, University of Lisbon, CIUHCT, Portugal
- Mordechai Feingold, Caltech, President ICHU, United States of America
- Hermenegildo Fernandes, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- Jorge Ramos do Ó, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- Kostas Gavroglu, University Athens, Greece
- Maria de Fátima Nunes, University of Évora, CEHCFi, Portugal
- Ugo Baldini, University of Padova, Italy
- Yves Gingras, University of Québec in Montreal, Canada
Local Organizing Committee
- Ana Simões, University of Lisbon, CIUHCT,Portugal
- José Pedro Sousa Dias , University of Lisbon, CEHFCi, Portugal
- Maria Paula Diogo, New University of Lisbon, CIUHCT, Portugal